The mission of the Helen Keller Elementary School, through strong support systems, and with the cooperation of parents and community, strives to educate all students to high levels of performance, measured by local, state, and national standards. We are committed to fostering strong social values and responsibility to self, others and the global community. The entire Keller staff pledges to support this mission in a safe and nurturing environment.
Helen Keller Elementary School strives to be a model school where...
- Exhibits high levels of cooperation, collegiality, and energy.
- Promotes respect for each other and for learning.
- Is safe and supportive, where children’s mistakes are accepted, expected and used to promote progress.
- Fosters pride in and respect for our physical environment.
- Understands that students are unique and individual learners.
- Embraces outside resources to connect school and community.
- Supports a strong volunteer component.
- Embraces rigor and relevance
- Maintains standards as minimum academic requirements and moves beyond the scope of those standards.
- Exposes students to the arts and humanities.
- Are actively engaged.
- Know the lesson objectives and can communicate them.
- Take responsibility for their work.
- Show responsibility by striving for excellence and doing their best.
- Communicate to a receptive teacher what they don’t understand.
- Learn not only content, but habits of mind that are necessary cornerstones for success in lifelong learning.
- Participate in community service.
- Support the mission and strive toward the vision.
- Make decisions based on what is best for the students.
- Improve their craft through professional development.
- Recognize each student’s learning through differentiating instruction.
- Enrich students’ experiences through extra curricular activities.
- Is a whole school responsibility, encompassing students, staff, parents and the entire Keller community.
- Promotes teams who study research and best practices in education.